Nothing brings back childhood nostalgia like a weekend stack of flapjacks. If you were lucky, mom might even pull out the Aunt Jemima on a weekday. Those days were the best. Even as adults, it's tough to find something more comforting than a pancake breakfast. These days, it seems that pancakes are reserved for special occasions and indulgent Sunday brunches. A little stick of butter and a lot of maple syrup - the best. But after making these healthy pumpkin pancakes, we are proposing a return of the pancake breakfast. And since these take all of 5 minutes to be whipped up using a high-powered blender, we propose the return of the weekday pancake breakfast.
These pancakes are super easy to make, very satiating, and most importantly, they are delicious. We recommend adding some stevia, honey, or maple syrup to the batter to balance out the bitterness of the pumpkin. And while topping with maple syrup is certainly a good option, we like to use our 3 ingredient pumpkin pie frosting. Cream cheese, greek yogurt, pumpkin pie spice. Easy as that.
So if your're feeling sentimental or are just in need of an excuse to add another pumpkin recipe to your repertoire, this breakfast option might be just what your looking for.
How to make it:
- To make the batter, add all ingredients (except cream cheese and greek yogurt) to a blender and blend until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Grease a pan or griddle with coconut oil or cooking spray.
- Use an ice cream scoop or other measuring device to portion batter evenly. Flip when bubbles appear on the surface, 4-5 minutes.
- To make the frosting, combine cream cheese, greek yogurt, and some additional pumpkin pie spice and using a hand blender, mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Stack pancakes and top with frosting.
What you'll need:
- 1/2 cup pumpkin, fresh or canned
- 1 cup almond milk or milk of choice
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 oz cream cheese
- 2 oz greek yogurt
- stevia or sweetener of choice